Each import has specific business rules that need to be adhered to. The basic rules for required fields, fields that can be updated, and fields utilized to lookup existing records can be found in the Import Data Dictionary and Import Template worksheet.
Import specific rules are coded or configured for each import type. There are several rules that apply to many imports:
- Required fields must contain data.
- If a matching record is found and there are fields that can be updated, only those fields with valid data in the import filed will be updated.
Imports are run based on the set of records, not one record at a time.
- Duplicate records may be removed via an import error from the import before matching takes place where applicable. When a duplicate is detected, the first record is kept and all others error out.
- Duplicate records are removed via an import error after existing record lookup takes place.
- Columns may exist in import files in any order.
- Non-required columns may be absent from import files.
Column headers in imports will be identified based any of these criteria:
- Alternate Column Name
- Local Column Name (if name is localized in the CoursEval instance)
- Legacy CoursEval template names
- Dual role
- Student enrollment
- T/A enrollment
Faculty enrollment by role
- Responsible Faculty
- Participating Faculty
- Course Administrator
- Course Survey Availability
- Survey Report Availability
- Student Engagement
- Department Administrators